What is a cosmeceutical? Leading Dermatologist explains...
A HYBRID OF THE WORDS ‘COSMETIC’ & ‘PHARMACEUTICAL’, THESE POWERFUL FORMULATIONS WILL SUPERCHARGE YOUR SKINCARE ROUTINE… DERMATOLOGIST DR NATASHA COOK EXPLAINS….
‘Cosmeceutical’ was a term coined by the ‘father of Dermatology,’ Dr Albert Kligman in 1984 - the same incredible dermatologist and researcher who discovered the use of tretinoin for anti-ageing. BIG respect to him!
By definition, a cosmeceutical is a product in which the active ingredients have a clear and defined BIOLOGICAL effect on the skin. (1) Put simply, a cosmeceutical should bring long term VISIBLE changes to the function, physiology and biology of the skin AND be backed by scientific studies and evidence!
Sounding familiar? ‘Skincare backed by science’ is the foundation of DrNC’s skincare range which has been researched and developed over 2 decades, studying the componentry of formulations, compounding chemistry and dealing with patients’ and their plethora of skin concerns.
Hence why Dr Natasha devised and invented her own definition of skin type. Gone are the days of oily, dry OR combination. Dr Natasha’s definition scientifically centres around the 6 KEY SKIN CONCERNS that most people have at least 2 of: Acne & congestion, dehydration, redness & sensitivitivity, ageing, sun damage, pigmentation.
Designing cosmeceuticals based on SCIENCE to help her patients nail these concerns whilst keeping it simple and feeling good. You need skin care that can work with you and ALL of your concerns delivering real results.
COSMETICS VS COSMECEUTICALS
While cosmetics temporarily change the appearance of our skin, cosmeceuticals change the FUNCTION, BIOLOGY & PHYSIOLOGY, leading to real long term benefits. They have the ability to penetrate the skin’s surface - the stratum corneum and therefore improve skin health, repair damage and make noticeable changes. (1)
These powerful ingredients in the right concentrations can help reduce acne, diminish fine lines, hydrate the skin and create even skin tone alongside many other benefits:
- Anti-aging in general
- Treatment of photomelanosis (sun induced pigment) and photo damage
- Treatment of pigmentation-related disorders like melasma or freckles
- Rhytide (fancy name for wrinkle) reduction
- Maintenance of skin tone and clarity of complexion
Since Dr Kligman coined the term, the scope of cosmeceuticals has been expanding exponentially, with the discovery of AHA’s for exfoliation and skin rejuvenation and cell renewal (one of my superstar ingredients), different formulations of topical vitamin C and antioxidants and niacinamide aka vitamin B3.(2)
Let’s face it, many of us don’t have the time to spend researching each ingredient before selecting skincare - so Dermatologist DrNC has taken the guesswork out for you! The ingredients she has methodically researched and injected into her formulations have scientific studies and PROOF they work.
Universal skincare that works for all skin, everyday.
COSMECEUTICAL INGREDIENTS YOU NEED!
- VITAMINS B3 (Niacinamide), C & E: Anti oxidants / anti inflammatories, inhibit pigmentation, protect and stimulate collagen, improve hydration, barrier strengthening, prevent ageing / sun damage.
- MOISTURE BINDERS: Hydrate, prevent moisture loss, strengthen the outer barrier , reduce sensitivity, calms inflammation and breakouts.
- MINERAL BLOCKERS: Block UVA UVB. Non-allergic. We now know visible light and infrared play a role in photo-ageing and a traditional SPF is NOT ENOUGH! Hence why we boost our SPF with B3 and iron oxides.
Found in: the Concentrated CC+ Cream SPF boosted with 5% niacinamide, one of the best cosmeceutical ingredients in skin care today !!!